Yesterday FileSender 1.5-beta2 was released. We believe to have fixed all backend issues: those with an impact on the database, program flow or I/O pathways.
From hereon I estimate it will take 2 additional betas before we are ready for releasing. Our path towards the 1.5 release is:
- beta-3 is planned as a “fixed date release” for May 15th and will contain mostly what we refer to as “cosmetic fixes”. Crucially important for the user experience, but less of an upgrade impact for sysadmins. We’ll knock off open tickets labeled “1.5-beta3” until the 7th of May, after which the workflow-test cycle is run, changesets are merged into the right spot of the code tree and the release is ready on May 15. Remaining issues will be scheduled for beta4.
- the external code security auditis planned to be executed between 9-11 May, with the report expected around 18 May. An external security audit is part of our release status and life cycle policy: despite our attention for security we do have blind spots. The external security audit is there to make sure FileSender does not have any “basic” security issues. Based on this report we can schedule beta-4.
- beta-4 is a tentative beta, depending on the results of beta-3 and the security audit.
- the first release candidate RC1 is the rebrand of the last beta. There is a period of at least 1 week between release candidate and the “final release”. We use this week for final quality assurance and wrap-up of documentation details.
Please check the Release Schedule for details and up-to-date planning.
Today our release manager and chief code-repository Xander Jansen announced the availability of the 2nd beta of our upcoming version 1.5. Please help us by field testing it! If you discover any issues, please report them to our support mailinglist.
Here’s Xander’s announcement:
We’re happy to announce that FileSender 1.5-beta2 release is now available for download and in the FileSender package repositories.
Version 1.5-beta2 is the second beta release for the upcoming 1.5 version and contains some important changes concerning the installation and configuration, most notably the language definitions.
It is recommended to start with a fresh install although upgrading from previous versions (1.5-beta1 and 1.1) is also possible. Be sure to read the Installation notes for 1.5 development code for important installation and upgrade notes.
Download details are at:
The most noticable new features/changes since 1.5-beta1 are:
Major changes since 1.5-beta1
- The ./config directory as distributed now only contains a sample config-dist.php file. All other templates/sample files have been moved to ./config-templates or their contents have been merged into the ./language/* files.
- The supplied config-dist.php has been cleaned up and contains some important changes. It is recommended to create a fresh config.php from the supplied config-dist.php file and adapt that one with your local settings.
- Two database column type changes (needs manual adjustment when upgrading).
- Changed and consolidated language file naming scheme.
- Added Czech, Slovenian, Italian, Spanish, Croatian and Hungarian language files.
- Updated Dutch and Norwegian language files.
Major (less visible) changes since 1.5-beta1
- Further improvements in workflow, validation/error handling and input/output pathways.
- Minor bug fixes and enhancements.
Many thanks to all contributors to this release for their patches, comments and most notably the translations!
On behalf of the FileSender team,